As discussed in earlier blogs Android is an operating system based on Linux with a Java programming interface. It is an operating system for mobile devices such as smartphones and tablet computers. It permits developers to write managed code in the Java language, managing the device by means of Google-developed Java libraries. There are number of other advantages of Android and you can read a few below.
Advantages of Android
- The biggest advantage of Android is that it is an open source, integrated software platform. Companies can release updates and revisions which users can download on their own.
- The Android SDK (Software Development Kit) allows you to create your own apps. SDK includes a comprehensive set of development tools like debugger, libraries, handset emulator, sample code, documentation and tutorials. So if you get hands on an SDK, you can develop applications on your own for Android.
- Android uses the standardized and open programming language Java. The emulator of the Android platform has a modern design and is easy to use.
- The installation of whole environment to develop Android applications is possible on every operating system.
- Android offers a relational database which is SQLite for data storage purposes. Android also has an integrated web browser which allows a PC like usage.
- Association with Google has made it more powerful with Google Maps and Google Voice Apps.
- Android allows developers to design applications for users based on their preferences. This provides the ability for users to have unique experiences tailored specifically for them. This is possible as Android OS is customizable.
- There are numerous partners involved in Android which has led developers to create a standardized way of developing applications for users without botheration of the platform. This has also helped in defining documentation, procedures and application sharing.
- As Android is an open platform it always tend to be far less expensive than other than conventional products. This has notified users about the decrease in cost as compared to other handhelds operating systems like Windows Mobile, Apple iOS and so on.
- Android has encouraged innovation among the developers to innovate new applications from time to time for sustaining in competitive market.
- Android does not differentiate between the phone’s core applications and third-party applications. They can all be built to have equal access to a phone’s capabilities providing users with a broad spectrum of applications and services.
- Android has a low barrier to entry. There are less expensive licensing fees or development tools. It can be possible to develop applications without spending a dime.
- Android applications can be distributed in number of ways, unlike other mobile OS platform. Android Market is a third-party application store where you can browse and download apps published by third-party developers, hosted on Android Market. There are several other third-party application stores. You can also create your own distribution channels.
- There are more than 300,000 Apps available for Android in the market. This itself proves that popularity of Android is increasing among the people in the world.
- The Android platform is the best mobile platform for inter-application and inter-process architectures.
These are the few advantages of Android. We can call this phenomenon “convergence” in the field of communication. This phenomenon doesn’t only pertain to technology; it can also pertain to other things.
Market Share of Android
According to latest report from Canalys (http://www.canalys.com/newsroom/smart-phones-overtake-client-pcs-2011#) Android is the top smartphone operating system in 2011. The details are as shown below-